Behold another female drummer

Drumming can not be left out in African cultural heritage because it is a mean through whch people are being kept alive joyously and ceremoneously. Below is the interview had with our guest who is a drummer:


Afrikalogy: What is your name, your age and family background?
Ibk Gangan: My name is Akinrinde Ibukunoluwa (a.k.a. Ibk Gangan).My parents, Pastor and Pastor (Mrs.) Olajide Akinrinde gave birth to me some 24 years ago, am the first child in a family of four, having two sisters and a brother. 


Afrikalogy: What is your educational background?
Ibk Gangan: I attended Redeemers High School at the Redemption Camp for my secondary education, after which I proceeded to Bowen University for my tertiary education where I studied one of the best courses in the world, Food Science and Technology. At the moment, I am running a master’s program in Food Technology at University of Ibadan.

Afrikalogy: Why are you into music and when did you start?
Ibk Gangan: Hmmmm, I guess I have been into music since I was younger I remember in children class then when we go for competitions. Am into music to fulfill Gods plan and purpose for my life, I did not plan being in music at all, I wanted to be a career woman in my field but all of a sudden the whole gist changed and another thing cropped up.

Afrikalogy: What motivate you into music/drumming and what are the challenges facing you as a female in the industry?
Ibk gangan: I guess God has different plans for our lives, I noticed back then during my undergraduate days, there was this guy who comes around to play the talking drum once in a while, anytime he plays there is always a change in the atmosphere, the sound of the drum always makes the difference, so I thought of  instead of us to be having this guy once in a while, why don’t  I step in his shoe and be playing every Sunday. That was how I ventured into playing the talking drum.  As a female drummer, I am the shy type I have the challenge of having to be bold, free and sociable, although I have adjusted big time but at times, I still feel shy.  My sister Ayobami and drummer Odunayo have been helping me by  smiling  at me on stage. This eases the tension and the shyness.

Afrikalogy: How do you cope as a female in the industry?
Ibk gangan: It has been both good and bad but God has been making ways for me, I am coping big time.

Afrikalogy: Does your family have any link with drumming and what was your family disposition to it when you ventured into it?
Ibk Gangan: My family is not from the AYAN family, so people call me AYANYANJURAN, my parents, sibling and uncles supported me back then and they are still supportive. It was one of my uncles that got my first talking drum. They have really been supportive and they follow me for performances once in a while.

Afrikalogy: Don’t you feel odd when you introduce yourself as a drummer, a trade largely associated with male?
Ibk Gangan: I don’t  feel  odd at all, at times when am drumming and people are looking at me with amazement I wonder what’s causing that, some will walk up to me and keep looking at my left hand.  I enjoy myself playing the drum.



Afrikalogy: 
You are a university graduate, do you want to dump your certificate for music/drumming?
Ibk Gangan: That’s a big question, but God willing I want to go into lecturing so I can have time for my music career, working in a food industry will refrain me from music and I won’t have enough time for music.

Afrikalogy: As an undergraduate, how did you cope to manage academic with drumming?
Ibk Gangan: Smiles, back then it was just God that helped. I had to place my priorites right then in school, I go for shows when I know I am a bit free, although my parents didn’t know because that was there initial fear but thank God I was one of the best students in my department, it was just God.

Afrikalogy: Where do you hope to be in the next few years in the music industry
Ibk Gangan: In the next few years, God willing, I should be touching more lives and reaching out unto more parts of the world through drumming. I also trust God that in few years’ time, I would have been stronger and better in the music industry.

Afrikalogy: Do you want to engage in it partially or fully
Ibk Gangan: I will be both partially and fully in the industry due to the fact that I want to go into lecturing.


Afrikalogy: What advice do you have for young ones like you in the area of potential
Ibk Gangan: For upcoming artistes like me who are young, don’t ever give up on your dream dearie, and never despise the days of little beginning. Trust in God and believe in yourself.

Afrikalogy: Your message to your fans?
Ibk Gangan: To my wonderful fans out there, keep your fingers crossed as I bring out more of Gods best in me. So much love to you all.

Afrikalogy: Any regret so far, and do you see your male counterpart as a threat?
Ibk Gangan: My males counterparts are not threats to me, we are one big family in APDON (Association of Professional Drummers of Nigeria), they are always ready to help anytime am in need of it. No regret so far, God has been faithful..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Catholic Church now in Nigeria

WHAT HAPPENED IN IBADAN? A MUST READ STORY BY TOMILOLA

Meet Kaysax- the man with Saxophone